April 29, 2020
What have we accomplished?
- As of July 1, 2020 “offset” language in a contract that allows a prime contractor to withhold funds on one job because of a dispute on another job is void and unenforceable.
- Legal protection for subcontractors by preventing a prime contractor from requiring an advance waiver of a subcontractor’s lien and bond rights prior to work starting.
- Laws penalizing contractors who misclassify their employees as independent contractors.
- Access payments made by Virginia’s Department of General Services to prime contractors, HERE.
What can we accomplish:
- A payment transparency website will list all payments by agencies of the Commonwealth to prime contractors.
- ACE is monitoring legislation that would eliminate construction contract “condition precedent” language (GC will only pay you when GC gets paid, even if the subcontractor has properly completed its work).